Friday, May 25, 2007

Library 2.0

Why do some people think libraries are stuck in the past? One of my teachers used to call the library the, "book museum." To be fair, some library systems ARE trapped in the Twentieth Century but I like to think we're doing a better job keeping up with the times here in Loudoun. But can we really stay on top of everything, every emerging technology? It seems to me that it's all about our outlook, our attitude. If we welcome change and look for ways to make things better then I think we can keep up.

Michael Stephens says, "Librarian 2.0 makes good, yet fast decisions."

I think this is a key point. A library system can be like many organizations, the larger we grow the slower we move. Our system is growing and I just hope this doesn't slow us down. I cringe when I hear about neighboring big systems that form a committee to think about implementing an idea that maybe might happen a year from now. Gah! I like that we are willing to try things and have them NOT work out. We can try something and fix it if it doesn't work right. I'd rather try and mess up than never try at all, or plan for months or years to implement something that's obsolete by the time we roll it out. Librarians are not risk-takers by nature but we need to find a little of that within us or we'll have a hard time keeping up with the times. I think we can do it.

No comments: